The concept is to provide affordable low energy living space as part of a semi-rural multi-function complex. We want to show that low carbon living, in harmony with the natural environment is possible at a cost most can afford.
We would like this to be a showcase project for others to follow.
Key points of the plan are:
- Use low cost straw bale building techniques to achieve high energy efficiency combined with low carbon footprint. All buildings would be single storey with solar power.
- Provision of ten single occupancy houses for rent or buy
- Creating an environment that promotes healthy living
- Community cafe
- Community allotments and orchards
- Landscaped gardens
- Workshops for micro businesses
The emphasis would be on establishing a supportive social community that is as self sustainable as possible, living in a peaceful rural setting.
A further objective is to involve the local community, by offering courses and holding regular events. The project is currently pursuing various funding and land possibilities, if you have ideas on either aspect, please pass on your suggestion, via the website below.
If you are excited by this vision you may like to keep in touch with developments and receive occasional newsletters, please register your interest at the Balance Oak website.
Further information on straw bale houses can be found at